Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital.
Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond traditional methods to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
We are seeking a data scientist to join our growing team and contribute to developing real-time views of consumer and sector-level microeconomic behavior and insights into how that collective behavior manifests in the global economy. We use large-scale real-world observational data to observe and contextualize macroeconomic conditions, regional economic health, consumer decision making, and sector- and firm-level performance in order to drive investment strategies. We often work with semi- or unstructured data sets, and need to be comfortable getting deep into messy data to design, test, and implement economically-intuitive features that measure real world economic activity. To accomplish this, we work closely with our partners to identify, develop, and monetize differentiated hypothesis-driven features that provide a real-time lens on emerging economic and commercial trends.
You are excited to take on the following opportunities:
- Get into the weeds of large-scale real-world observational data to infer and control for potential biases resulting from complex data generating processes
- Continually develop subject-matter expertise by engaging with internal and external partners to learn how various industries interact with suppliers, serve their customers, and assess their internal financial performance
- Independently generate, articulate, and implement hypotheses on what may affect US and international industry- or firm-level performance trends
- Develop a deep understanding of the application of empirical methods and data science to challenging applied prediction problems
You should possess the following qualifications:
- Degree in a technical or quantitative discipline, like chemistry, computer science, economics, statistics, or quantitative social science with an applied empirical focus (all levels welcome, from bachelor’s to doctorate)
- Proficient in Python and SQL
- Performed an in-depth research project, examining real-world data
- Are an independent thinker who can creatively approach data analysis and communicate complex ideas clearly
- You don’t need a background in finance. It’s nice to have, but more than half of Two Sigma’s employees come from outside the finance industry. If you’ve got the research skills, we can teach you the financial aspects of the job.
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, competitive 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation and unlimited sick days, competitive paid caregiver leaves
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.