Moderna is seeking a talented and motivated data scientist with a background in applying machine learning techniques to problems in research and development to join our Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (DSAI) team. As part of our mission to “Build The Digital Biotech Company”, we see a central role for DSAI in accelerating the science and engineering at the heart of our innovative culture. As a lead within the DSAI team, this role will conduct and direct research collaborations such as modeling and optimizing sequence-function relationships, extracting insights from microscopy and other image data, and developing AI-driven methodology to streamline the processing of analytical assays of all sorts. We are looking for someone who is deeply curious, exhibits an excellent work ethic, and has a desire to bring novel mRNA therapeutics and vaccines to the market that will improve the lives of patients worldwide.
Here’s What You’ll Do:
- Support and execute a wide variety of research projects across Platform Research, Technical Development and various Therapeutic Areas via data analysis and visualization, machine learning and experimental design
- Identify impactful opportunities to apply recent advances in machine learning and optimization and keep up to date with the latest advances in the field
- Grow a tightly knit team focused on diverse research problems such as biological sequence design, image analysis, and cheminformatics.
- Collaborate with data scientists, research scientists, and engineers across the Moderna
- Forge academic and/or external partnerships when appropriate for cutting-edge initiatives
- Employ and encourage data science and software engineering best practices
- Communicate findings internally and externally
Here’s What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computational Biology, Applied Math, or related discipline
- 5-10 years' experience delivering data science projects, preferably in an industry setting
- Strong understanding of biotech research and engineering processes including molecular biology, bioinformatics, discovery chemistry, pathology, microscopy, etc. Experience in modeling sequence-function relationships or analysis of biomedical imaging a plus.
- Outstanding communication skills (verbal, written, and virtual/remote).
- Success in communicating effectively at multiple levels of stakeholdership
- Demonstrated experience building research collaborations and executing complex and interdisciplinary research projects to completion
- Experience managing a team with diverse interests and backgrounds
- Fluency in Python, especially the data scientific stack (Jupyter/Pandas/scikit-learn/PyTorch/Tensorflow)
- Track record of publishing scientific research and/or method development, preferably in the computational biology or computer science research fields
- Familiarity with best practices in software development, including Amazon Web Services, Docker, version control (Git), and documentation
- Experience in identifying, procuring, and integrating external data sources as needed
- Working knowledge of relational databases (e.g., PostgreSQL)
- Ability to manage multiple projects and effectively collaborate in a dynamic, cross-functional environment
Here’s What We’ll Bring to the Table:
- On-site subsidized cafeteria or catered lunches
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Free annual corporate membership to Bluebikes
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
- 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
- Eligible for “Moderna Month” (one month paid sabbatical after five years of service and eligible for additional one month paid sabbatical every 3 years thereafter)
- Adoption assistance and discounts to local childcare centers, as well as access to care.com
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days’ vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays (includes 2 floating holidays)
In 10 years since its inception, Moderna has transformed from a science research-stage company advancing programs in the promising-but-still-unproven field of messenger RNA (mRNA), to an enterprise with its first medicine having treated millions of people, a diverse clinical portfolio of vaccines and therapeutics across six modalities, a broad intellectual property portfolio in areas including mRNA and lipid nanoparticle formulation, and an integrated manufacturing plant that allows for both clinical and commercial production at scale and at unprecedented speed. Moderna maintains alliances with a broad range of domestic and overseas government and commercial collaborators, which has allowed for the pursuit of both groundbreaking science and rapid scaling of manufacturing. Most recently, Moderna’s capabilities have come together to allow the authorized use of one of the earliest and most-effective vaccines against the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moderna’s mRNA platform builds on continuous advances in basic and applied mRNA science, delivery technology and manufacturing, and has allowed the development of therapeutics and vaccines for infectious diseases, immuno-oncology, rare diseases, cardiovascular diseases and auto-immune diseases. Today, 24 development programs are underway across these therapeutic areas, with 13 programs having entered the clinic. Moderna has been named a top biopharmaceutical employer by Science for the past six years. To learn more, visit www.modernatx.com.
Moderna is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.